The company now known as Aloha Petroleum, Ltd. (Aloha)
began its history in Hawaii back in the early
1900s as Associated
a division of Tidewater Oil, was then owned by J. Paul Getty. Petroleum
products for Associated Oil stations were brought from the mainland
aboard the good ship Falls of Clyde, which is now permanently docked
at the Hawaii Maritime Museum in Honolulu.
As Associated Oil, our company's office was originally based on
North Nimitz Highway in the Iwilei district of Honolulu. Our operations
departments remained headquartered there until March 1997.
Aloha's offices are now located at 1132 Bishop
Street, Suite 1700, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813.
About the time of statehood, Associated Oil was acquired by Phillips
66. Several new stations were built at this time and many "Flying A" of the older Associated Oil
stations were renovated and revised to meet the Phillips 66 image requirements.
In 1977, Phillips withdrew from the western U.S. as well as Hawaii
in order to more effectively focus its marketing efforts. After changing
ownership in 1977, the company became Aloha Petroleum, Ltd. and began to
make several innovations.
In the late 1970s, Aloha introduced two innovations that brought
about significant changes to gasoline retailing in Hawaii. First,
Aloha began a company-wide program of installing pay-at-the-pump equipment
all its retail locations. This made fueling faster and more convenient.
Second, Aloha introduced the card—its
own proprietary charge card which now saves consumers up to eight cents ($0.08)
per gallon on all fuel purchases. The is
also available to Commercial, Business and Affinity customers who may
receive greater discounts
depending upon fuel volume. Today, the is
the most widely used independent proprietary fuel card in Hawaii.
Aloha continued its acquisitions in 1992 by acquiring 5 former Circle K locations and then acquiring 18 former Mahalo locations in 2005. In 2010, Aloha purchased the Shell Hawaii assets and acquired 32 retail sites, five fuel distribution terminals, and associated assets on Oahu, Maui,the Big Island, and Kauai.
Aloha Island Mart was the name chosen to represent Aloha Petroleum in the convenience store market as a reflection of our island heritage and pride in Hawaii's heritage. Aloha Petroleum / Aloha Island Mart now consists of 46 company operated convenience store and gasoline facilities. Aloha Petroleum markets through approximately 100 Aloha, Shell and Mahalo branded fuelling stations throughout the state and also provides fuel to several hundred commercial and wholesale customers along with federal, state and city governmental accounts.
Throughout the years, Aloha Petroleum has established itself as
Hawaii's kama'aina company with deep roots in the islands.